The Black Pro-Mist Filter produces diffusion with less highlight and shadow effect than Tiffen's standard Pro Mist filter. The Black Pro Mist is known for its soft, pastel approach to portraiture. Its unique layering of contrast combined with a gauzy paint like halation, function as a twist on the stand of the pro halation spill effect. Even at its lowest density, it delivers an effective and increase in the halation which adds a pleasing depth of warmth, but is not transported to the skin tone values. These characteristics will become more apparent when you use densities of 1 quarter and above.
In the heavier densities the spill is quite aggressive from the practical light, with the warm tone becoming more apparent. Yet the subtle but effective look still continues to make the pro mist filter a staple filter for many cinematographers in the digital world.
- Offers all the benefits of the Pro-Mist filter in a more subtle form
- Highlight flares are controlled
- Contrast is lowered, but with less lightening of shadows for a more delicate effect
- The filter offers a delicate effect with contained highlight flare
- Creates a soft light "pastel" effect
- Tiffen filter is manufactured using ColorCore technology, a closely guarded proprietary process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between 2 pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision metal rings
- The ColorCore process allows Tiffen to control the color and density of their filters, and the characteristics of special effects filters with much greater accuracy than typical dyed-in-the-mass filters, which usually exhibit color and density variations
In The Box:
Tiffen 4 x 5.65" Black Pro-Mist 1/2 Filter
4 x 5.65" Black Pro-Mist Filter Specs: